Uncategorized

Basic Spanish, Lesson 26, Conjugating Irregular Verbs, Decir

It seems that there are lots of verbs that don’t really follow the rules in Spanish, so that means that there will be many blogs like this one. I would do more than one verb, but there are many tenses, and even with the ones I think to include here, there are even more ways to use these verbs. The verb for today is “decir” which means “to say” or “to tell.” If you ever translate for someone, you really need this verb. I learned many of the conjugations for this verb by reading the Bible in Spanish because “decir” is used an enormous amount in the Bible.

Photo by ADijo ugust de Richelieu on Pexels.com

Dijo que no puedes. = I said that you can’t.

Decir = to say or to tell

Simple Present Tense (everyday)

Singular Plural

First Person: digo = I say decimos = we say

Second Person: dices = you say

Third Person: dice = he, she, it says and dicen = they say, you guys say

you (respectful) say

(note: remember that “i” is said like a long “e,” and “c” is said like an “s” because it has “e” after it.)

Photo by Ketut Subiyanto on Pexels.com

?Que ‘el dijo? = What did he say?

Simple Past Tense

First Person: dijo = I said dijimos = we said

Second Person: dijiste = you said

Third Person: dijo = he, she, it, and dijeron = they said, you guys said

you (respectful) said

(note: remember, the “j” is pronounced like an English “h.”)

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels.com

Voy a decirlo. = I am going to tell him.

an Easy Future Tense

First Person: voy a decir = I am going to say vamos a decir = we are going to say

Second Person: vas a decir = you are going to say

Third Person: va a decir = he, she, or it is going van a decir = they are going to

to say, and you (respectful) you guys are going to say

are going to say

Photo by Jopwell on Pexels.com

?Que ‘el dira’ cuando lo dices? = What will he say when you tell him?

Future Tense

First Person: dire’ = I will say diremos = we will say

Second Person: diras = you will say

Third Person: dira’= he, she, it, and you diran = they will say, you guys

(respectful) will say will say

Photo by Kaboompics .com on Pexels.com

?Que estas diciendo? No puedo oir. = What are you saying? I can’t hear.

Present Tense Continuous (Progressive) (happening right this minute)

First Person: estoy diciendo = I am saying estamos diciendo = we are saying

Second Person: estas diciendo = you are saying

Third Person: esta diciendo = he, she, it is estan diciendo = they are saying,

saying, you (respectful) are you guys are saying

saying

Photo by August de Richelieu on Pexels.com

He dicho antes, y te voy a decir una otra vez. = I have said it before, and I will tell you again.

Present Perfect Tense (began in the past and continued on until now)

First Person: he dicho = I have said hemos dicho = we have said

Second Person: has dicho = you have said

Third Person: ha dicho = he, she, it, or han dicho = they have said,

you (respectful) has said or you guys have said

Photo by cottonbro on Pexels.com

Este es que ‘el habia dicho, pero ‘el no tiene razon. = That is what he has said, but he isn’t right.

Past Perfect Tense (began in the past, went on for a while, then stopped in the past)

First Person: habia dicho = I had said habiamos dicho = we had said

Second Person: habias dicho = you had said

Third Person: habia dicho = he, she, it, and habian dicho = they had said,

you (respectful) had said you guys had said

Photo by Ketut Subiyanto on Pexels.com

Si, este es que yo estaba diciendo, pero no tuve razon. = Yes, that is what I was saying, but I wasn’t right.

Past Progressive Tense

First Person: estaba diciendo = I was saying estabamos diciendo = we were saying

Second Person: estabas diciendo = you were saying

Third Person: estaba diciendo = he, she, it was estaban diciendo = they were saying

saying, and you (respectful) were and you guys were saying

saying

Photo by SplitShire on Pexels.com

!Digame! = Tell me!!

Request or Command Form

diga= say! or please say! or tell! or please tell! /// digame = tell me, dinos = tell us, diselo = tell him, digase a ti mismo = tell yourself, diaglos = tell them

Photo by Daria Shevtsova on Pexels.com

Diciendo eso es muy simpatica. = Saying that is very nice.//Decirme is muy simpatica. = Telling me is very nice. or To tell me is very nice.

Gerund or Infinitive Form

diciendo = saying, decir = to say, decirles = telling them, decirme = telling me, decirle = telling you, telling him, telling her, decirnos = telling us