Home Made Cold Cereal

Yesterday, I made home made granola cereal, and my daughter was completely thrilled!  I haven’t made it in a long time. In fact, it was my older kids I used to make it for. She wasn’t alive then.  She learned there was another kind of cold cereal I used to make too, and asked me to make it today because she enjoyed the granola so much.  I made it, and I hope she enjoys it as much as she enjoys the granola. This is actually called “grape nuts,” but there are no grapes or nuts in the cereal.  Here is what I did:

I began by setting the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

I began by putting 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and 2 1/2 cups of flour in a large mixing bowl.  When I used to make this, I always used whole wheat flour, but whole wheat flour is hard to find in Korea, so I used plain white flour.


Next, I measured out 1/2 cup of butter. I put it in a microwave safe dish and melted it. I added this to the brown sugar and flour.

I added 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
I added one teaspoon of maple flavoring.

I added 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 1 teaspoon of maple flavoring. I mixed it all in.

I added 2 1/2 cups of milk.
I added a teaspoon and a half of baking soda to the milk.

Next, I added 2 1/2 cups of milk, but I didn’t mix it in right away. I added a teaspoon and a half of soda to the milk before I mixed it in.

I mixed everything together with a wire whip.

I mixed it all together with a wire whip. I noticed that the maple flavoring was acting strange.  It was liquid when I put it in, but it began to clump together after I added it.  I used a wire whip hoping to break it apart, but just made it lots of smaller dots in my batter.  I can’t remember it doing this when I used to make it, but I also used whole wheat flour before, so maybe it just blended in when it did that, and I couldn’t see it.

Next, I greased and floured a large pan like I was making a cake.
I poured the batter into the pan.
I put it in my preheated oven for 30 minutes.
This is what it looked like after 30 minutes. My fork inserted in the middle came out clean.
I took it out of the oven and crumbled it.
I put it back in the oven.

After I baked it, I took it out of the oven and crumbled it up. Since it was hot, I used a butter knife.  I tried to make sure I got even to the bottom and mixed it up trying to expose as much as possible. After about 20 minutes in the oven, I took it out and mixed it around to make sure all of it could be roasted.  I put it back in for another 20-30 minutes, then I took it out, and it was finished.

The finished grape nuts.

I left it to cool. It smells great with the maple flavoring in it!  I hope my daughter is just as happy with this as she was withe the granola I made. After it cools, I will store this in a plastic, covered and sealed container.

Leave a Reply